What are SMEs?
Manufacturing enterprises(1) which make use of fewer than 100 individuals(2) and non-manufacturing enterprises which make use of fewer than 50 individuals are thought to be SMEs in Hong Kong.
As at September 2020, there have been over 340 000 SMEs in Hong Kong. They accounted for greater than 98% of the full variety of enterprises(3) and supplied job alternatives to greater than 1.2 million individuals, about 44.5% of complete employment (excluding civil service)(3).
Many of the SMEs had been within the import/export commerce and wholesale industries, adopted by the skilled and enterprise providers business. They accounted for about 46% of the SMEs in Hong Kong and represented 44% of the SME employment.
Distribution of SMEs (as at September 2020)
|No. of SMEs(1)||No. of individuals engaged(2) in SMEs|
|Complete(3)||343 313||1 205 773|
|Business||Manufacturing||8 102||46 682|
|Mining & Quarrying; Electrical energy & Gasoline Provide, and Waste Administration; and Building Websites(4)||1 642||15 064|
|Companies||Import/Export Commerce and Wholesale||104 593||364 671|
|Retail(5)||44 706||132 734|
|Transportation, Storage, Postal and Courier Companies(6)||8 406||44 741|
|Lodging and Meals Companies(7)||13 951||112 675|
|Data and Communications||15 760||53 541|
|Financing and Insurance coverage(8)||31 336||69 170|
|Actual Property||17 313||36 042|
|Skilled and Enterprise Companies(9)||53 252||163 494|
|Social and Private Companies(10)||44 252||166 959|
- Institutions with the identical enterprise registration quantity and engaged in the identical business/providers group are mixed into one enterprise unit (enterprise) for the aim of calculating the variety of SMEs. An institution is an financial unit which engages, beneath a single possession or management, in a single or predominantly one sort of financial exercise at a single bodily location (e.g. a department/outlet of an organization).
- Individuals engaged embody: (i) particular person proprietors, companions and individuals having household ties with any of the proprietors or companions and dealing within the enterprise with out common pay, who’re actively engaged within the work of the enterprise for at the least 1 hour on the survey reference date; (ii) full-time salaried personnel straight paid by the enterprise and dealing administrators of restricted corporations, each everlasting and momentary, who’re both at work (whether or not or not in Hong Kong) or quickly absent from work (viz. these on sick go away, maternity go away, annual trip or informal go away, and on strike) on the survey reference date; and (iii) part-time workers and workers on evening/irregular shifts working for at the least 1 hour on the survey reference date.
- Figures for the full variety of enterprises and complete employment (excluding civil service) seek advice from the sum of these business/providers teams coated by the Quarterly Survey of Employment and Vacancies and the Quarterly Employment Survey of Building Websites as proven within the desk solely. Business/providers teams not coated by the surveys are primarily agriculture, forestry and fishing; building apart from websites; and public administration.
- The variety of individuals engaged at building websites refers to guide employees solely.
- Excluding hawkers and retail pitches (apart from market stalls).
- Excluding taxis, public gentle buses, a part of items autos, and inland freight water transport.
- Masking motels, guesthouses, boarding homes and different enterprises offering quick time period lodging.
- Excluding financial authorities and self-employed insurance coverage brokers with no enterprise registration.
- Excluding renting and leasing of leisure and sports activities items.
- Excluding work actions inside home households; actions of extraterritorial organisations and spiritual organisations; and impartial artists.
Central Register of Institutions, Census and Statistics Division
Quarterly Survey of Employment and Vacancies, Census and Statistics Division
Quarterly Employment Survey of Building Websites, Census and Statistics Division