The Social Safety and Supplemental Safety Earnings incapacity applications present help to individuals with disabilities. This web page supplies detailed details about incapacity advantages and will help you perceive what to anticipate from Social Safety through the incapacity course of.
Earlier than you apply, take time to evaluation the fundamentals, perceive the method, and collect the knowledge and paperwork you’ll want to finish an utility.
Apply for Incapacity
The Fundamentals About Incapacity Advantages
The Social Safety Incapacity Insurance coverage (SSDI) program pays advantages to you and sure members of the family if you’re “insured,” that means that you simply labored lengthy sufficient – and lately sufficient – and paid Social Safety taxes in your earnings. The Supplemental Safety Earnings (SSI) program pays advantages to disabled adults and kids who’ve restricted revenue and sources.
Whereas the Social Safety and Supplemental Safety Earnings incapacity applications are completely different, the medical necessities are the identical. In the event you meet the non-medical requirement standards, month-to-month advantages are paid when you’ve got a medical situation that’s anticipated to final no less than one yr or lead to loss of life.
The Incapacity Utility Course of
The incapacity advantages utility course of follows these basic steps, whether or not you apply on-line, by cellphone, or in particular person:
- You collect the knowledge and paperwork you have to apply. We suggest you print and evaluation the Grownup Incapacity Guidelines. It’ll show you how to collect the knowledge you have to full the applying.
- You full and submit your utility.
- We evaluation your utility to ensure you meet some fundamental necessities for incapacity advantages.
- We verify whether or not you labored sufficient years to qualify.
- We consider any present work actions.
- We course of your utility and ahead your case to the Incapacity Dedication Providers workplace in your state.
- This state company completes the incapacity dedication choice for us.
To be taught extra about who decides if you’re disabled, learn our publication Incapacity Advantages.
As soon as You’ve got Utilized
As soon as we obtain your utility, we’ll evaluation it and get in touch with you if we’ve got any questions. We would request further paperwork from you earlier than we will course of your utility.
Look For Our Response
You’ll obtain a letter within the mail with our choice. In the event you included details about different members of the family once you utilized, we’ll let you understand if they can obtain advantages out of your utility.
Test The Standing
You may verify the standing of your utility on-line utilizing your my Social Safety account. In case you are unable to verify your standing on-line, you may name us 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday via Friday.
Enchantment A Determination
You might have a proper to enchantment any choice we make about whether or not you’re entitled to advantages. You have to request an enchantment in writing inside 60 days of receiving our choice. There are 4 ranges of enchantment:
- A listening to earlier than an administrative legislation decide.
- A evaluation by Social Safety’s Appeals Council.
- A evaluation by the federal courts.
To be taught extra, go to Enchantment A Determination.
Test Utility or Enchantment Standing
Info You Have to Apply
Earlier than making use of, be prepared to offer details about your self, your medical situation, and your work. We suggest you print and evaluation the Grownup Incapacity Guidelines. It’ll show you how to collect the knowledge you have to full the applying.
Info About You
- Your date and fatherland and Social Safety quantity.
- The title, Social Safety quantity, and date of start or age of your present partner and any former partner. You also needs to know the dates and locations of marriage and dates of divorce or loss of life (if acceptable).
- Names and dates of start of your minor kids.
- Your financial institution or different monetary establishment’s Routing Transit Quantity and the account quantity.
Info About Your Medical Situation
- Identify, handle, and cellphone variety of somebody we will contact who is aware of about your medical situations and will help along with your utility.
- Detailed details about your medical diseases, accidents, or situations:
- Names, addresses, cellphone numbers, affected person ID numbers, and dates of remedy for all medical doctors, hospitals, and clinics.
- Names of medicines you’re taking and who prescribed them.
- Names and dates of medical exams you’ve gotten had and who despatched you for them.
Info About Your Work:
- The amount of cash earned final yr and this yr.
- The title and handle of your employer(s) for this yr and final yr.
- The start and ending dates of any lively U.S. army service you had earlier than 1968.
- An inventory of the roles (as much as 5) that you simply had within the 15 years earlier than you grew to become unable to work and the dates you labored at these jobs.
- Details about any staff’ compensation, black lung, and/or related advantages you filed, or intend to file for. These advantages can:
- Be non permanent or everlasting in nature.
- Embody annuities and lump sum funds that you simply obtained previously.
- Be paid by your employer or your employer’s insurance coverage provider, non-public companies, or Federal, State, or different authorities or public companies; and
- Be known as:
- Employees’ Compensation.
- Black Lung Advantages.
- Longshore and Harbor Employees’ Compensation.
- Civil Service (Incapacity) Retirement.
- Federal Staff’ Retirement.
- Federal Staff’ Compensation.
- State or native authorities incapacity insurance coverage advantages.
- Incapacity advantages from the army (This consists of army retirement pensions primarily based on incapacity however not Veterans’ Administration (VA) advantages.)
Paperwork You Have to Present
Together with the knowledge listed above, we might ask you to offer paperwork to indicate that you’re eligible, equivalent to:
We settle for photocopies of W-2 types, self-employment tax returns, or medical paperwork, however we should see the unique of most different paperwork, equivalent to your start certificates. (We are going to return them to you.)
Don’t delay making use of for advantages since you wouldn’t have all of the paperwork. We are going to show you how to get them.
Apply For Advantages On-line
You must apply for incapacity advantages as quickly as you develop into disabled. Observe these straightforward steps to use on-line for incapacity:
- To start out your utility, go to our Apply for Advantages web page, and skim and conform to the Phrases of Service. Click on “Subsequent.”
- On that web page, evaluation the “Getting Prepared” part to ensure you have the knowledge you have to apply.
- Choose “Begin A New Utility.”
- We are going to ask a couple of questions on who’s filling out the applying.
- You’ll then signal into your my Social Safety account, or you may be prompted to create one.
- Full the applying.
You should utilize the web utility to use for incapacity advantages for those who:
- Are age 18 or older.
- Are usually not at the moment receiving advantages by yourself Social Safety document.
- Are unable to work due to a medical situation that’s anticipated to final no less than 12 months or lead to loss of life; and
- Haven’t been denied for incapacity within the final 60 days.
Notice: In case your utility was lately denied, our Web Enchantment utility is a place to begin to request a evaluation of the dedication we made.
Now you can additionally file for Supplemental Safety Earnings (SSI) on-line however provided that you:
- Are between the ages of 18 and 65.
- Have by no means been married.
- Are a U.S. citizen residing in one of many fifty states, District of Columbia, or the Northern Mariana Islands.
- Haven’t utilized for or obtained SSI advantages previously.
- Are making use of for Social Safety Incapacity Insurance coverage concurrently your SSI declare.
Different Methods You Can Apply
Apply With Your Native Workplace
You are able to do most of your enterprise with Social Safety on-line. In the event you can not use these on-line providers, your native Social Safety workplace will help you apply. Though our workplaces are closed to the general public, staff from these workplaces are aiding individuals by phone. You’ll find the cellphone quantity in your native workplace by utilizing our Workplace Locator and looking out beneath Social Safety Workplace Info. The toll-free “Workplace” quantity is your native workplace.
Apply By Cellphone
Name 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday via Friday, to use by cellphone.
If You Do Not Dwell within the U.S. Or One among Its Territories
Contact the Federal Advantages Unit in your nation of residence for those who stay outdoors the U.S. or a U.S. territory and want to apply for retirement advantages.
Mailing Your Paperwork
In the event you mail any paperwork to us, you could embrace the Social Safety quantity in order that we will match them with the right utility. Don’t write something on the unique paperwork. Please write the Social Safety quantity on a separate sheet of paper and embrace it within the mailing envelope together with the paperwork.
Info for Advocates, Attorneys, and Third Events
In case you are an Advocate, Legal professional, or Third Celebration Consultant and you might be serving to somebody put together an internet Social Safety profit utility, there are some issues it is best to know.
What do I have to learn about Advance Designation?
You ought to be conscious of one other kind of illustration known as Superior Designation. This pertains to the Strengthening Protections for Social Safety Beneficiaries Act of 2018, which was signed into legislation on April 13, 2018.
Advance Designation permits succesful grownup and emancipated minor candidates and beneficiaries of Social Safety, Supplemental Safety Earnings, and Particular Veterans Advantages to decide on a number of people to function their consultant payee sooner or later, if the necessity arises.
To assist shield what’s vital to you, we now supply the choice to decide on a consultant payee upfront. Within the occasion that you could now not make your personal selections, you and your loved ones may have peace of thoughts understanding you already selected somebody you belief to handle your advantages. In the event you want a consultant payee to help with the administration of your advantages, we are going to first take into account your advance designees, however we should nonetheless totally consider them and decide their suitability at the moment.
You may submit your advance designation request once you apply for advantages or after you might be already receiving advantages. You could achieve this via your my Social Safety account, by phone, or in particular person.